Printed circuit boards (PCBs) can be made from various metals. These special PCBs are known as a metal core printed circuit boards (MCPCBS). The choice of metal changes on the basis of the application. Aluminum PCBs are one of the popular types of metal MCPCBS, which find use in many modern day applications. These PCBs feature metal-based and copper-clad laminates. Such a construction makes the circuit board an excellent electrical insulator and thermal conductor. It also helps the PCB in delivering high performance. now we will introduce in detail Things You Need To Know About Aluminum PCBs.
What are Aluminum PCB boards?
Aluminum PCBs have the ability to dissipate heat for electronic products. An aluminum PCB is one of the most commonly used types. It features standard FR4 laminate and an aluminum core. The circuit board helps in heat dissipation effectively with the help of a thermal clad layer that it features. These printed circuit boards are most widely used in applications involving tight tolerances and high power.
More Aluminum PCB Boards Example Below:
In the process of manufacturing an aluminum PCB, a thin layer of dielectric is added between the circuit layer and the base layer. This layer of dielectric is both electrically insulating, as well as thermally conductive. After adding the dielectric layer, the circuit layer or the copper foil is etched. This allows you to get the required pattern. The metal base layer of the circuit board, with the help of a thin dielectric, helps remove all the heat from the circuit.
What are the Different Types of Aluminum PCBs?
As said earlier, selecting the type of aluminum circuit board depends largely on the application for which it is used. There are three main types of aluminum PCBs as follows:
- Through-hole Aluminum PCBs – In the through-hole aluminum circuit boards, the aluminum is pre-drilled. After that, a dielectric is back-filled into the hole.
- Flexible Aluminum PCBs – In these PCBs, flexible dielectrics are used, which provide a high level of flexibility, thermal conductivity, and electrical insulation. When these dielectrics are used with aluminum material, the product thus formed is highly flexible and can be formed in different shapes. This helps eliminate costly connectors, and fixtures.
- Hybrid Aluminum PCBs – These types of aluminum PCBs are generally used in RF applications, and are known to provide a better thermal performance when used in a standard FR4 product.
What are The Application Areas of Aluminum PCBs?
Aluminum printed circuit boards are among the most widely and commonly used circuit boards? They find their use in a vast variety of applications like these:
- Signal Beacons
- Surgical Lighting Tools
- Power Transmission Systems
- High-power Scanners
- Automotive Dashboards
- Interior Lighting
- Power Converters
- Medical Operating Theatre Lighting
- Landscape Lighting
- Tail Light Assemblies
The Advantage of Aluminum PCB Boards
The numerous benefits offered by aluminum boards makes them popular among a variety of applications. Following are a few benefits:
- Light-weight – This is one of the biggest advantages of these PCBs. Aluminum is extremely light-weight metal. Thus, it helps add extra strength and resilience to the PCB.
- Able to Dissipate Heat – Whenever the vital components on a circuit board are exposed to high temperatures they can get damaged. Thus, to protect them from such damage, it is necessary to use a material that can dissipate the heat. Aluminum is the material, which has the capability to take the heat generated away from the vital components on the board, thus protecting them from any potential damage.
- Long Lasting – Aluminum is a sturdy material with high durability. The risk of accidental breakage during handling, manufacturing, or everyday use is eliminated by using aluminum circuit boards. It can provide better strength to a product as compared to fiberglass and ceramic bases.
- Environmentally Friendly – Aluminum PCBs are easy to assemble, which helps in conserving energy. Besides this, the material is recyclable and non-toxic. This makes it environmentally friendly, and thus aids in safeguarding our planet.
- Economical – You can find aluminum in almost any climatic conditions, which makes it easier to mine and refine. This helps reduce the costs. Thus, the manufacturing process, which involves aluminum is comparatively cheaper than other metals.
MOKOPCB is a trusted and experienced aluminum PCB manufacturer or supplier
These were the various types and several benefits of using aluminum circuit boards in your applications. However, getting a trusted and experienced aluminum PCB manufacturer or supplier is of utmost importance for a good quality. You can consider approaching MOKOPCB for your aluminum PCB requirements. MOKOPCB has an expertise in manufacturing custom PCBs that match the application requirements of their clients.
Get Free Quotation of your Aluminum PCB Project
Should you have any question about Aluminum PCB design, manufacturing capabilities or your custom PCB project requires specifications which are not listed in the above table, feel free to reach us or directly email our engineers at Nicholas@mokotechnology.com.